[buster-discuss] Calculating the R values for a model at differing resolution cutoffs

det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 12 16:03:28 CEST 2012

    Since Karplus and Diederichs is now in print I can be a little more
explicit in what I'm trying to do.  I have a data set that would have
been cut at 2.6 A resolution by traditional criteria but the CC* says
that there is information present out to 2.25 A.  I want to see if a
model refined out to 2.25 A will fit the data to 2.6 A better than a
model refined just to the 2.6 A data.

    I understand your description of the issue of the error model in
the likelihood calculations but for this calculation I'm perfectly
happy to use the model which was derived using the entire data set
since I am comparing to the same data set, just a subset of it.

    I've always viewed the imperfection parameters (for lack of a better
term) as part of the model and I would prefer that they be written to
the coordinate file along the the other parameters of the model.  If
this were done they would not have to be recalculated from scratch every
time and life would be simpler for us folk who want to try new ideas
without hacking into your code.

    I am on vacation at the moment and not able to dig deeply into it,
but if refine.mtz includes <Fcalc> and Sigma(Fcalc) I could probably
calculate my R values directly from them.  I have a personal aversion
to unformatted files in general and mtz files in particular, but I could
probably overcome that if need be.

Dale Tronrud