[buster-discuss] Maintaining ligand planarity during refinement

Marco BELLINZONI marco.bellinzoni at pasteur.fr
Wed Jan 31 19:33:34 CET 2018

Dear Ashley,

we have also run across the same problem with planarity, and at higher resolutions. The only workaround we found (actually suggested to me by a colleague) was to raise the overall weight of planarity restraints, by adding:

GeometryWeight_plane=20.0

As in Ashley’s case we originally noticed that with some ligands (e.g. uridine ring in UTP), but the issue does not seem to be restricted to ligands with externally provided dictionaries, as we have sometimes seen aromatic side chains also refining slightly out of plane, most likely as an effect of anti-bumping restraints. Indeed, in the few tests I made on parallel refinements with or without the instruction above I’ve seen that applying such a higher weight to planarity worsens Molprobity clash scores, although not dramatically.

Is there a better way to deal with this, or possibly strengthen this kind of restraints for a particular ligand instead of the whole model (e.g. Gelly instructions)?

Thanks in advance,
Bests
Marco