[buster-discuss] Excluding bonding terms between disordered residues.

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Thu Apr 9 17:54:33 CEST 2020

Dear Mark,

If the problem contact is indeed e.g. between B121 (A conformer) and
E2, you will need the line

  EXCLUDE B|121 E|2

It seems as if none of the examples you tried actually includes the
exact interacting residues? Or am I missing something?

Another possibility is to work with the alternate conformation
identifier. E.g. if you have something where

  (1) a amino-acid residue exists in two alternate conformations A and

  (2) the ligand is only present when this residue is in the B
      conformation and occupies (to some extent) the location of the A
      conformer position

the best thing would be to also set the altConf identifier for the
ligand to B (no need to also have a A conformer). The benefit of using
the correct pattern of altConf identifiers is that only atoms with the
same altConf identifier (or none) "see" each other - and atoms with
different (non-" ") altConf identifiers are invisible to each other
... so no need for an exclude card.

Of course, if you have just built this region htere might indeed be
some poor non-bondend contact and thte exclude cards are required, but
for the final refinement this should no longer be the case.

Does that help?

PS: and after running "pdb2occ" agains the PDB file you would also
    have a set of occupancy refinement commands to get started with
    refining alternate side-chain conformations where one conformation
    is associated with a ligand structure and the other with
    solvent/water molecules - all nicely restrained to add up to a
    combined occupancy of one as expected (if the model is able to
    completely describe the local situation).