[buster-discuss] Refining hydrogen atoms

Wei-Chun Kao wei-chun.kao at biochemie.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jan 7 09:08:19 CET 2022

Dear Clemens,

since the 20210716 snapshot update of BUSTER, the -M HydrogenHybridModel
option becomes available, so I would like to update some of my previous questions as well.

> On 18. Mar 2021, at 11:04, Clemens Vonrhein <vonrhein at GLOBALPHASING.COM> wrote:
>
> Dear Wei-Chun,

> One thing to remember after a BUSTER refinement including hydrogens:
> during model validation you might need to tell programs to keep the
> hydrogens as they are and to use the correct (ideal) hydrogen
> position. E.g.
>
>  molprobity.molprobity keep_hydrogens=True nuclear=False refine.pdb
>
> if you used the full occupancy, e-cloud model.

In case I have high resolution X-ray data, I use

aB_hydrogenate -full

to place hydrogen atoms and refine the coordinates with

-M HydrogenHybridModel

Because the hydrogen atoms are refined with full occupancy and are at
nuclear position, I think there is no need to use

nuclear=False

but keep_hydrogens=True

right? The validation results from buster-report, molprobity.molprobity
and the wwPDB validation server should be consistent I suppose?

>> Will the
>> zero-occupancy hydrogens still improve the geometry of the model at
>> this resolution?
>
> Yes: they are fully visible to the geometry term and therefore also to
> the contact term - resulting in better placement of e.g. side-chain
> rotamers etc.

For moderate-resolution data, I first use aB_hydrogenate to add H-atoms
at zero occupancy and refine the coordinates with BUSTER. If I understood correctly,
buster-report will first run aB_fix_h_occ to synchronize the occupancy of
H-atoms from zero to that of the parent atom. If zero-occupancy H-atoms are invisible to
MolProbity (or some of the molprobity executables), how should I use the BUSTER-refined
coordinates for wwPDB validation since similar issues will likely be encountered?

Best,

Wei-Chun