[sharp-discuss] Re: 2 questions, external phase info & solomon

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:35:14 +0100

Hi Chris,

> After starting solomon, on the 'Phase Improvement and Interpretation
> Control Panel' at the bottom there is:
>
>   initial DM log file
>
>  ERROR: running initial density modification using DM!
>         Have a look in solo_38.0pc/test.log
>         You are probably running a CCP4 version older than 3.4!

Ok, the text for that error message is misleading. In your case DM
complains about missing columns - that's because your eden-unique.mtz
files is corrupt (see below). Could you please remove the
eden-unique.* files?

> And in the eden-unique.log:-
>  binsort -- I/O error (check space available in $BINSORT_SCR): No such
> file or directory

> MMMmmmm.... Looks like a ccp4 problem:- There is lots of space in
> $BINSORT_SCR directory and it is mounted and writable. Many thanks for
> your help and suggestions!

NOTE: the values you use in your normal CCP4 setup file are not used
by SHARP. Furthermore, the 'default' CCP4 policy of setting scratch
directories to something like /tmp/$USER (and creating this directory
if it doesn't exist) is not used.

SHARP uses it's own (cut-down) version of a CCP4 setup script. Have a
look in the various $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup files (e.g. 'grep
BINSORT_SCR $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup'): this is the value it is
using. If this points to a non-existing directory (e.g. /tmp/chris) it
will complain. Make sure that it points to a directory that will
ALWAYS exist!

* Clemens Vonrhein, Ph.D.          vonrhein@GlobalPhasing.com
*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889