[sharp-discuss] using existing http server

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:35:59 +0000

Dear Joseph,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 03:57:06PM -0600, Joe Brunzelle wrote:
> Are there any docs about how to config sharp to run with an existing http
> server?

Short answer: unfortunately no.

But there is hope:

 - if you want to run it with the Apache httpd you just need to adjust
   your own httpd.conf file to give the same functionality as the on
   we're using (see $BDG_home/sushi/conf/httpd-1.3.6.conf)

 - if you're using some other httpd you have to do the same - but it's
   going to be obviously more difficult and you have to understand the
   Apache httpd configuration file (for which there is lots of
   documentation at www.apache.org).

Now, if you already have some httpd running (e.g. your lab intranet
server on something like http://local.machine.edu:80/) and you want to
use the same httpd you will probably dig into all this 'virtual
server' business ... haven't done it myself though.

On the other hand: why do you want to re-use an existing server? Using
the supplied Apache httpd (1.3.12) from helpers_server.*.tar.gz on a
port like 8080 is usually fine. And you can always add a link from
your main server to point to this SHARP server.

But maybe I misunderstood your question completely?

* Clemens Vonrhein, Ph.D.          vonrhein@GlobalPhasing.com
*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889