[sharp-discuss] Question about error in MAD phasing

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:13:15 +0100

Hi Bernhard,

it looks to me as if the data you gave autoSHARP is somehow wrong. The
step it is complaining tries to convert the DANO (ie anomalous
differences) to E-values for use in heavy atom detection. Check the
following:

1. what is the completeness of your anomalous data overall (but
   especially in the highest and the lowest resolution bin)

2. if something went wrong: do a 'mtzdmp' on your MTZ file(s) after
   TRUNCATE to see if there is actually some data available for DANO.

My guess is that the completeness of your data is rather low in the
high resolution (1.75A) bit. And ECALC needs a certain amount of
reflections per bin. You could try to give autoSHARP only data within
a sensible resolution limit. This can be done in two ways:

  a) just prepare MTZ files in the desired resolution range
     (e.g. using mtzutils)

  b) specify yourself as EXPERT user (in the SHARP Preferences) and
     you can give explicitely the resolution range you want to
     use. You could try gicing e.g. 2.0 as high resolution limit.

If you tell me a bit more about your data I could try to catch this
error automatically - and accomodate for it automatically in
autoSHARP.

I hope that helps.