[sharp-discuss] Refining Se-met sites

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:58:21 +0000

--z9sQuz+HmDh2hVO4

Dear Akanksha,

difficult to tell exactly whats going wrong. First I suspect the sites
to be correct from SOLVE. My first attempt would be to actually use
autoSHARP and not SHARP with this data. The information you need to
take care of is

  1. f'/f" values for each dataset/wavelength (hopefully from
     fluorescence scans, but 'standard' Se values are fine too). Do
     _not_ use just the wavelength at the peak and inflection: the
     calculation of these will most definitely give bogus numbers.

  2. a sequence file with the total content of the asymmetric unit
     (attention is only required if you have more than one monomer).

  3. have the SOLVE sites in a *.hatom file (as fractional
     coordinates)

  4. make sure your reflection files (MTZ or SCALEPACK) have the
     correct symmetry (i.e. P212121) and that that symmetry was also
     used in SOLVE to find the sites you put into that *.hatom file.

  5. I would put in the wavelengths in the same order that they were
     collected.

You then start autoSHARP and give it that information. Make sure to
tell it that there are 52 sites (and the *.hatom file with the 30
sites from SOLVE).

The important bits to look out for are:

  0. are there any warnings in the autoSHARP outptu? And what are
     they?

  1. does the automatic interpretation of residual maps keep most of
     the 30 sites and finds additional ones? This would be expected

  2. does the density modification of the two hands show a significant
     difference in CC?

Especially the last bit will tell you that one of the solutions is at
least on the right track.

This whole procedure will make sure that at least no simple mistake
was done (believe me: very easy, especially if you deal with several
files in different spacegroups with a different number of screw axis
etc).

Let me know what's happening with this approach. If it still doesn't
work we can see how to use data and sites in a different way (in
either SHARP or autoSHARP).

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:47:45AM -0500, gte977x@mail.gatech.edu wrote:
> Dear SHARPusers:
>=20
> I am trying to phase a protein structure using Se MAD data set in P212121=
. I
> found 30 Se sites in SOLVE out of total of 52 with z score =3D 102.56 and=
 fom =3D
> 0.39. The 30 sites were found using SAD data to 3A in SOLVE. I input the =
SOLVE
> output into SHARP and tried refining against the whole MAD data. The refi=
ned
> maps didn't show Se in density for either of the hands.
>=20
> Next, I tried refining sites using SAD data to 2.4 A resolution in SHARP.=
 The Se