[sharp-discuss] OS X / UNIX, how do I enable helper apps for viewing maps

Wilson, Jeffrey (wilsj9) wilsj9 at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri Apr 15 19:39:58 BST 2005

I am running SHARP locally.  Do you have any problems under OS X?

-----Original Message-----
From: Clemens Vonrhein [mailto:vonrhein at globalphasing.com]
Sent: Fri 4/15/2005 1:52 PM
To: Wilson, Jeffrey (wilsj9)
Cc: SHARP Discussion
Subject: Re: [sharp-discuss] OS X / UNIX, how do I enable helper apps for
viewing maps

Hi,

if you installed SHARP/autoSHARP on a machine in /usr/local you will
not be able to 'see' this directory when sitting on another
machine. As the installation manual explains, you should install in a
NFS mounted directory.

However, you can also just place the $BDG_home/bin/helpers.* files
somehwer else (e.g. your HOME directory) and edit thme (especially
creating the helpers.local from helpers.local_template).

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:43:52PM -0400, Wilson, Jeffrey (wilsj9) wrote:

> I have SHARP running on OS X, and I want to view my residual maps.  When I
> try plotting them, the web browsers (Safari, Mozilla, Camino) want to save
> the "map.pl" file (which OSX thinks is a TextWrangler file).  How do I get
> the browsers to automatically open/run the helper app (helpers.x-onew in
> this case) to view my maps?  My ~/.mailcap file exists, but does not seem
> be read.
>  Chapter 4 of the install guide says to tell Mozilla/firefox to open the
the
> file with $BDG_home/bin/helpers.x-onew, but the normal path
> (/usr/local/sharp/bin...) is not viewable in OSX.  I tried moving the
helper
> files to a different location (/Applications/Xtal), but I get the error:
>
> /Users/jeffreywilson/Desktop/map-1.pl could not be opened, because an
> unknown error occurrred.  Try saving to disk first.
>
> This might be happeneing since the name quickly gets changed to map.pl.
Has