[sharp-discuss] solvent flattening error in p61 and p6522

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Wed Jul 6 13:27:04 BST 2005

Dear Stefan,

it seems the CCP4 distributed sftools binary for IRIX that is buggy. I
have no problem reading it on

  1) Linux - using either the CCP4 distributed binary or my own
     compiled ones

  2) True64/OSF1 - using either the CCP4 distributed binary or my own
     compiled ones

  3) IRIX - using my own compiled ones (f77 or f90)

The only one where I get the error

  !!! Error, too large indices (> 512) occur !!!
  !!! Fatal error while reading reflections !!!
            0 reflections read successfully
  Trying to clean up the mess
  Deleting new columns
  Deleting new reflections

is the CCP4 distributed IRIX binary. So I recommend to re-compile CCP4
5.0.2 for SGI/Irix yourself: good opportunity to also apply all the
patches from the problems page. You can make it easy for yourself if
you use my ccp4_cv.sh script.

I guess this particular MTZ file (spacegroup? Number of reflections?
sort order?) triggers this bug when others don't. Could be a simple
memory problem (tricky to hunt down though ...).