[sharp-discuss] Model + HA on floating origin

Frank von Delft frank.vondelft at sgc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 18:37:50 BST 2007

Hi

We have the following case:

* Se-SAD dataset (3.3ish), substructure solves easily, but phases not
quite good enough.

* MR solution on same dataset from rather distant homologue (<25%ID),
phases also not quite good enough.

* MR solution aligns well (enough) with Se substructure, so both
solutions are correct.

We want to combine the two in Sharp.  However:  It's R3, so there is a
floating origin, and aligning a dodgy MR template with the Se sites is
tricky, or one uses the ccp4 jiffy.  But what about Sharp, is it bright
enough to spot this and optimize the various phase sets before it starts
refining?

(I ask because combining the non-optimized substructure and MR model
does not do wonders yet for the phases.)

II. Does autosharp do anything magical such a substructure+model
combination, or does it really just cycle automatically what can be done
by hand?

phx.