[sharp-discuss] Combining MAD with native

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Tue Mar 20 11:12:44 GMT 2007

Hi Derek,

the best way of combining it is to use scenario 2:

  C-1
    X-1
      W-1
        B-1
      W-2
        B-1
      W-3
        B-1
  C-2
    X-1
      W-1
        B-1

with:

  - Se-S in C-1

  - use the f'/f" values for your Se atoms in C-1 (i.e. from
    fluorescence run): there is no difference here no matter if you
    use Se or Se-S.

  - nothing in C-2

  - give the 3 wavelength in C-1 in the order they were collected
    (usually peak, infl, hrem)

You should also refine

  - global non-isomorphism (based on isomorphous differences) for all
    datasets

  - local non-isomorphism (based on isomorphous differences) for 2nd
    and 3rd wavelength of your MAD as well as native

  - global and local non-isomorphism (based on anomalous differences)
    for all your MAD dataset

I had very good experience with MAD+native. It all depends obviously
on the (non)-isomorphism, for which the cell changes might give an
indication (and the 17% R-factor you quote might be more interesting
broken down into resolution shells). So even if there is some
non-isomorphism, the native might give you some low-resolution phase
information - which helps density modification, which then gives a
better map. Every little helps ...

If you send me your current SIN file I can have a look at it (to
double check everything is fine).

Btw: a NISO_BGLO of 4.4 isn't too bad at all. And: what do you mean
with 'the native contributes nothing to the phasing'?