[sharp-discuss] apache2 not starting on Ubuntu 7.04 SHARP installation

Lee S Parsons parsonsl at upstate.edu
Wed Aug 13 22:32:26 CEST 2008

Hello
I finally accomplished a working installation of sharp on an Ubuntu
Linux (7.04) system.  Yesterday the system started correctly, although
it never accepted new names and passwords.  I also noticed that the
restart-server command did not work, but I wasn't planning to worry
about that for the moment.
Then one of my friendly users rebooted the system without warning.  It
appears the system in question did shut down gracefully, however I
cannot restart apache2 for SHARP.  The problem appears to be linked to
the Authorization methods, and returns this message:

/install/adm/bin/restart_server
Syntax error on line 359 of /usr/local/SHARP/sushi/conf/httpd-2.0.conf:
Invalid command 'AuthUserFile', perhaps misspelled or defined by a

 ERROR : something went wrong - please see any message above
         and also try running the httpd binary
         /usr/sbin/apache2 by hand. Maybe this binary isn't
         working on that particular platform/operating
         system? See the file(s)
         /usr/local/SHARP/helpers/*/httpd.README_GPhL.

I also tried starting apache2 directly (using the -f switch) with the
sushi httpd-2.0.conf file, and the same 'AuthUserFile' error was
returned.  I have the following auth modules enabled (via symbolic links
in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled):

/etc/apache2/mods-enabled$ ls auth*
auth_basic.load  authn_default.load  authn_file.load
authz_default.load  authz_groupfile.load  authz_host.load  authz_user.load

I am not sure what to do next.

thank you
Lee Parsons
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology