[sharp-discuss] question on mir phasing

Francis E Reyes Francis.Reyes at Colorado.EDU
Thu May 27 21:21:08 CEST 2010

>> 13) We did not get data at lower resolution. The reason I cut at
>> 15A is
>> that the completeness at lower resolution is low.
>
> Aha: is the completeness low because of distance/beamstop? Or because
> of a large number of overlaps? In the latter case: you could collect a
> low-intensity pass to have all strongest (!) reflections in your data
> as well.

Hey Clemens

What's the usefulness of low resolution data? (d < 10A )

The reason I ask is because a lot of people emphasize low resolution
data, but I can sympathize with the OP. One screens diffraction
images, collects as high resolution as possible, and can (usually)
solve the structure.  The structure that I collected on during
Rapidata (which was solved) has a low resolution completeness (as
judged by phenix.xtriage) from 28.6 - 10.61 A of about 68.7%. However,
100% in all bins up to the resolution limit of 2.0A.  By default
HKL2000 does not output the low resolution bins  (the first bin in
this dataset was 50-5A and in the scale log its at a 100% completion).

Is it only when you have issues that it becomes valuable? (poor
anomalous signal, etc etc)

P.S. the Reply-To: field for sharp-discuss defaults to the sender, it
would be useful for the replies to head back to the list so those of
us who are simply 'watching' can listen in and hopefully learn
something.

Francis Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 67BA8D5D

8AE2 F2F4 90F7 9640 28BC  686F 78FD 6669 67BA 8D5D