[sharp-discuss] Sharp not reading mtz files

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Wed Apr 13 09:21:29 CEST 2011

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 02:17:01PM +0000, Stephen.carr at rc-harwell.ac.uk wrote:
> Dear Sharp experts,
>
> I have come across a rather frustrating problem when trying to read certain mtz files into sharp.  When selecting the desired mtz file in the input editor window sharp seems to have difficulties in reading some files and appears to stall before extracting the cell/sg/etc. information.
>
> A small pop-up window containing the following message:
>
> http://fbscpcu046:8080/cgi-bin/Globa.cgi?tfr35668./home/applications/sharp-2.6 - (the server location as far as i can see)
>
> appears on screen and remains there for the files which cannot be read, where as it disappears if the mtz is read and the data transferred into the input editor.
>
> The mtz files have been created using CCP4 programs (mainly Scala) and also have the correct .data.mtz extension.  Also this problem is only effecting a few mtz files, but I cannot see any obvious difference between the files that are read and those which are not.
>
> Has anyone seen something similar before and could they suggest how to fix this problem?

This does sound suspiciously like permission problems. If you copied
those files into your sharpfiles/datafiles directory, make sure that
the account running the httpd can read them. The easiest is to do

  % chmod 0644 sharpfiles/datafiles/your.data.mtz

after copying the file over. Alternatively, if you put them there
through a symbolic link: make sure that the same account (running the
httpd) can actually follow that link all the way to the final file
location.

You should be able to look at the sushi/logs/error_log file (in the
SHARP installation directory) to see if it has additional messages
about permission issues?