[buster-discuss] ME and memory

jjwarren at duke.edu jjwarren at duke.edu
Mon Nov 21 15:22:53 GMT 2005

Hi-

I have been trying to use buster to refine an incomplete structure and it
seems to be working well, but crashes if I try to do maximum entropy
refinement.  I get the following error:

   Allocated BUFFER of size:  1732.500 Mb.
 Not enough memory to allocate BUFAUX of size:  1732.500 Mb.
  Program stopped.
 closesok message: time spent in tree = 2097.88 (user)  15.54 (sys)
            Error - Not enough memory to allocate BUFAUX of size: 1732.500
Mb.

I get the same error on two different linux machines which have different
amounts of memory.  The larger of the two has 2 Gb RAM, so I am assuming
that the problem is with memory allocation in the software and not with
the computers' physical memory.  Anyone have a fix/work around, or do I
need to try to get a custom version of the program(s)?

Pertinent Stats:
Running Buster 1.0.2 for linux on Fedora Redhat or SuSe Linux 9.0
Protein + missing atoms ~ 240 kDa
Unit Cell: 260 260 260 90 90 90, with one molecule in the AU.

Also, ME works fine with the tutorial data.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Josh