[buster-discuss] Error for rms gradient in Buster or Gelly after sanity check

Nicolas Foos Nicolas.Foos at afmb.univ-mrs.fr
Wed Mar 3 15:42:37 CET 2010

Dear buster users,

I use Buster for X-ray structure refinement. I have solved the structure
by MR. I am working about a protein complex with DNA. The map obtained
allows me to construct DNA with alternative conformation.

I used this command line : 'refine -p /my/.pdb -m /my/.mtz -M TLSbasic
-d /destfolder/'
I work on MacPro with OS : 10.5.11

This command line start the run, but it stop with this error message :

'ERROR : [run_buster-0043] although the inital sanity check
          passed we got an error from BUSTER and/or GELLY -
          something unexpected must have happened (see
          14/01-BUSTER/Cycle-1/gelly_sanity_test.log)

    grep: warning: recursive search of stdin
    grep: warning: recursive search of stdin

  ERROR : [refine-0049] problems in run_buster: see messages
          above'

When i see the message above, i can find this : at the end :
  'Initial functional value =      57936.1 rms gradient= NaN
  *** ERROR rms gradient is NaN - not a number
  *** ERROR normal reason for this is zero/zero programming error'

I have tried to remove the header of my pdb and resave my pdb. But i
observed no effect for this error.
Precedently i used Buster with the same command line, the same computer,
and the same model but less refine and there was no problem.

I appreciate any suggestion.

Nicolas.

--
Nicolas Foos, PhD Student