[buster-discuss] Clarification: Not French Wilson

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Tue Nov 25 18:41:56 CET 2014

   Much as I'm reluctant to comment on a private letter forwarded to a
public bulletin board I think I will because Peter seems to have made
a misstatement.

   The "Plain" French & Wilson method describes a Bayesian procedure
for converting I's to F's (not scaling at all I'm afraid) where the
prior contains knowledge that negative F's are impossible and positive
F's should obey Wilson statistics.  This means that "massage
intensities" is one step on the road to French & Wilson, not a step
beyond.  Since Wilson statistics does not provide a very informative
prior I don't think there is much difference between the two - but
since Phenix provides both the test is pretty simple.

   When the simple-minded version of Wilson statistics implemented in
Truncate (in CCP4) is wrong (e.g. ansiotropic fall-off,
pseudo-centering) it would be best to leave it out and use the
"massage intensities" method alone.

Dale Tronrud