[buster-discuss] Restraints

F.Xavier Gomis-Rüth xgrcri at ibmb.csic.es
Thu Feb 8 11:15:11 CET 2018

Thanks for the reply, Ashley, Claus, Gerard and Clemens.

The nominal resolution is 3.35Å but its is a large structure consisting
of a dimer of >1,100 residues arranged as seven domains in tandem.

This makes the overall structure quite flexible and poorly defined for
some domains.

We got initial phases to 4Å from a selenomethione-SAD experiment, which
we could extend to 3.35Å.

The model is essentially ready and we are struggling with the final
steps of refinement. Unfortunately, we do not have any reference model,
it's a

new structure, and after each manual rebuilding step and fixing of small
geometric inconsistencies, subsequent refinement creates another region

that needs to be fixed, and so on.

Buster performs very nicely, as usual, it is our program of choice for
final refinement steps and map calculation. It is just that, for these
particular

cases of low resolution, poorly defined stretches, missing density for
side chains, etc., it would be very interesting to have an option to
restrain

rotamers and main-chain angles to acceptable values to get the best
model possible given these limitations. I guess this should be even more
actual

for cryo-EM, are there any plans to adapt BUSTER to such maps?

Having said all this, we will try with the parameters you mention and
with STARANISO.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Xavier