[buster-discuss] error running pipedream

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Fri Feb 26 13:22:14 CET 2021

Dear Guenter,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 09:10:41PM +0100, Guenter Fritz wrote:
> I was trying to run pipedream, but get the notice that reduce is not in the
> path, although it is.

Not good.

> Below is my input and the output.� Any hintwhat I am doing wrong is welcome.

Your input looks all fine.

> System is Centos 8, CCP4 is 7.1, latest release of buster from today.

BUSTER programs are not (directly) using the CCP4 system in your
current shells environment, but rather the settings as they were
available during installation: these are then stored in
$BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup. So several things could be happening
here:

 (1) Your CCP4 installation has moved/changed between the BUSTER
     installation and the time you are running our programs.

 (2) Installation of BUSTER on one machine sees a different CCP4
     location to the machine you are running the software on, e.g.

       (a) installation in machine A with CCP4 in /usr/local/ccp4-7.1

       (b) running on machine B where CCP4 is now
           /opt/software/CCP4/7.1/ccp4-7.1

 (3) Use of an "automounter" (autofs etc) that introduces differences
     on different machines, e.g. $CCP4 actually points to
     e.g. /.net/opt/software/CCP4/7.1/ccp4-7.1 or such.

In all those cases you would see a "hydropgenate -checkdeps" failure
(which is the actual error triggereing the error message). What is
important:

 (1) Ensure that external software (like CCP4) is accessible through
     the same path on all machines you intend to run our software on.

 (2) Ensure that this common path (excluding automount mixups) is set
     in e.g. $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup.

     After any changes to $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup, re-run
     "hydropgenate -checkdeps" or even better the full

       checkdeps -n

     to test your installation (ideally on the machine(s) you want to
     actually run the software on).

Does that help?

Cheers

Clemens & Andrew