[buster-discuss] Ccp4-8

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Mon Jun 13 11:57:28 CEST 2022

Dear Carlos,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2022 at 08:03:53AM +0000, Kikuti Carlos wrote:
> After upgrading CCP4 to version 8

Good.

> - and having uninstalled version 7 -

Ok.

> I’m having trouble with buster_20220203.

Not good.

> It is not reading the
> mtz (from Staraniso) properly,

Always a sign of problems with your CCP4 setup, yes.

> and when I tried the procedure described here [1] I got stuck
> because the file font84.dat doesn’t exist.

Did you actually get stuck (as in: it keeps asking you for the
location of the font84.dat file)? Or did it just not work as expected?

Do you have the newly installed CCP4 8.0 version set up /before/
running the ccp4-setup tool? As in

  . /where/ever/ccp4-8.0/bin/ccp4.setup-sh        # bash/sh/zsh

    - or -

  source /where/ever/ccp4-8.0/bin/ccp4.setup-csh  # tcsh/csh

If that was the case, the ccp4-setup script should realise that you
are running a CCP4 version newer than 6.3.0 (which was the last one
using that font84.dat file) and would never ask you about it.

> Do I need to reinstall CCP4-7?

No.

> Or is there a better way to make buster work again?

The easiest is always to just re-install BUSTER in an environment
where CCP4 is set up (see above). Alternatively, if you update to a
new CCP4 version, just edit the file

  $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup

(where $BDG_home is the BUSTER installation directory) and change line
13 from e.g.

  CCP4="/public/xtal/ccp4-7.1"

(obviously different for you) to point to the latest CCP4
installation, e.g.

  CCP4="/public/xtal/ccp4-8.0"

Does that help?

Cheers

Clemens, Claus & Gerard

PS: we need to update that installation page - thanks for highlighting
    this via your report!

[1] https://www.globalphasing.com/buster/manual/installation/FAQs/CCP4_change.html