[sharp-discuss] Phasing with FeS cluster

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:29:15 +0000

Paul,

I would have expected that at thsi resolution (2.6A for in-house) you
should be able to resolve the various Fe atoms in your Fe-S
cluster. How did you find your sites? Using Pattersons? Maybe it would
be a good idea to calculate some anomalous Pattersons at higher
resolution to see if you can resolve the Fe atoms.

If that's not possible, I would run SHARP at higher resolution, using
your best f'/f'' values and fixing all of these: in-house and remote
should be correct anyway. If you don't have a fluorescence scan for
your MAD data collection (and use CHOOCH to get f'/f'') I would take
the calculated ones. But careful: small changes in lambda can have
large effects in f'/f''. Use one of the MAD sites on the web to find
the f'/f'' values for peak and inflection.

After that SHARP run, the residual maps (ANO) should show additional
peaks if you used only a single Fe atom to refine the whole
cluster. From there you could bootstrap your way to add all additional
Fe (how many are there?).

I wouldn't go for tha U atom aproach ... sounds rather fishy to me ;-)

Hope that helps ... if not just post your SIN file to know what we're
discussing.