[sharp-discuss] Problem with SHARP config.

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:09:29 +0000

Paul,

I cold think of several reasons:

1. you configured several MASTERs (via the newmachine command) but not
   all have been set-up for you (with the useSHARP script)

2. permission problems: is the httpd running under an account that is
   in the same or a different UNIX group?

3. various links wrong (can happen when using automounter and/or
   different mount points on different machines).

4. You should have (in your sharpfiles directory) something like

   sharpfiles/logfiles/
              logfiles.machine1 -> /mnt/machine1/paul/logfiles
              logfiles.machine2 -> /mnt/machine2/paul/logfiles

   When running the useSHARP command you are asked to give 'local
   logfiles' directories for each MASTER. Make sure you don't answer
   any of these

     /home/paul/sharpfiles/logfiles
     /home/paul/sharpfiles/logfiles.machine1

   since these are used internally by SHARP. If you don't have any
   large, non-scratch local disks on each MASTER machine you could
   answer e.g.

     /home/paul/sharpfiles/logfiles_local

   for each MASTER machine and all your o/p directories will be in
   there.

5. in your ~/sharpfiles/logfiles directory there should be only links
   for each job id (pointing to ../logfiles.machine1/XXX1.21)

6. when naming a job, avoid 'funny' characters (spaces, dots,
   underscore etc.): stick with alpha-numeric characters and maybe
   hyphen '-'. This holds true for SHARP and autoSHARP!

There is always a script (checkBDG.sh) that will do some very basic
checks on your installation. You can find it at

  http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/installation/index.html#trouble

Clemens