[sharp-discuss] New User: Major Installation Problems

Albion Baucom baucom@biology.ucsc.edu
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:08:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, I am trying to setup SOLVE on an SGI R12000 IRIX 6.5 64-bit
machine.

I am having numerous problems _following_ installation. I _can_
sucessfully use the installSOLVE script, and the "newmachine", and
"newuser" scripts. But after that nothing works.

First off, I have read the following page closely

http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/installation/index.html

and used the program "checkBDG.sh".

I run the installation as root on the computer I am installing on
using the following files

installSHARP
sharp.irix64.tar.gz
sharp_tutorials.tar.gz
helpers_client.irix64.tar.gz
helpers_server.irix64.tar.gz
sushi.tar.gz

Fine.

First off, the permissions on the directories after the installation are
whacked. I get an arbitrary user (1119) as the owner of files, and
read/write/exectute permissions by the owner ONLY on a lot of the files,
including key files in sushi/base. After running "newmachine" and pointing
the script to all the applicable info, and then running "newuser", adding
myself as a user (albion), I cannot access the webserver even though I can
see httpd is running on my machine. I get

Forbidden

when I try "netscape http://monkey:8080" as I am instructed in the e-mail
generated after running "newuser" (as the user I created).

Im not suprised. All the files in suchi/base (such as index.htm) are only
readable by user (1119) as is the perl script (index.pl) that is suppose
to be called when loading this page. Huh? Do I have to change all the
permissions myself?

The "checkBDG.sh" script returns the following warnings

WARNING 001 : no file sharp.irixn32.tar.gz found -
WARNING 002 : no file helpers_client.irixn32.tar.gz found -
WARNING 003 : no file helpers_server.irixn32.tar.gz found -

This is strange as I didnt use any *irixn32* tar files to begin with, only
the ones I got from the server named *irix64*. Hmmm.

WARNING 004 : there doesn't seem to be a valid licence key

Again, strange as the installSOLVE script accepts this file and allows
installation, and this was the license attached to the license reply by
e-mail.

Obviously something has gone really bad here.

Can anyone help?

Im corn-fused. But I am UNIX savy and a programmer ... I just don't follow
how this installSOLVE script is behaving.

Thanks!

Albion

Albion E. Baucom
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~baucom