[sharp-discuss] plot SHARP electron-density map interface problem

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:35:54 +0000

Hi Charlie,

the thing is: if you use the -f or the -F flag for installing
SHARP/autoSHARP it will use whatever value CCP4_SCR was set in your
environment during the CCP4 configuration. So it is actually not
SHARP/autoSHARP that relies/assumes /tmp/$USER but your local CCP4
installation.

I always use just plain /tmp for any kind of scratch directory - but
CCP4 has a lot of scripts/programs that not always create temporary
files with unique names in scratch directories (e.g. most of the
example scripts and also the uniqueify script) - this messes up things
if more than a single user is using CCP4.

Anyway, the proper way for a SHARP site administrator to configure
CCP4 for use in SHARP/autoSHARP is to use the ccp4-setup script (in
$BDG_home/adm/bin) and change/edit any value he/she doesn't like.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:23:14AM +0000, Charlie Bond wrote:
> Clemens Vonrhein wrote:
> >
> >Is it possible that the directory /tmp/chernhoe doesn't exist?
> >Although in the CCP4 setup file distributed by CCP4 the default
> >CCP4_SCR is /tmp/$USER (and is created if it doesn't exist) we don't
> >use this in SHARP/autoSHARP. So you might want make sure that the CCP4
> >setup within SHARP/autoSHARP (see $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup)
> >sets scratch directories which will always exist and always be
> >writable. You can just use /tmp.
>
> Clemens,
> I'm not sure it's a good idea (in the long run) to rely on /tmp/$USER
> existing - we certainly keep CCP4_SCR elsewhere. Perhaps you could
> either put these files under sharpfiles or just check for the existence
> of the /tmp/$USER directory or $CCP4_SCR and create it (`a la
> ccp4.setup) before creating the subdirectory.
>
> >BTW: what are your (or other peoples) browser of choice nowadays?
>
> Mozilla.
>
> Cheers,
> Charlie
>
> --
> Dr Charles S. Bond        University of Dundee   Tel: +44-1382-348325
> Honorary Lecturer               Dow St, Dundee   Fax: +44-1382-345764
> BBSRC David Phillips Fellow  DD1 5EH, Scotland  C.S.Bond@dundee.ac.uk
> School of Life Sciences      http://stein.bioch.dundee.ac.uk/~charlie

*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889