[sharp-discuss] external phase information

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 12:05:26 +0100

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

Dear Greg,

there is a mismatch between what's in the documentation and what SHARP
expects (sorry about that). The 'new' way of using external phase
information in form of HLs is:

  1. generate HLA ... HLD

  2. add these 4 columns to your existing *.data.mtz file:

     cad hklin1 old.data.mtz hklin2 hls.mtz \
         hklout new.data.mtz <<end_ip
     LABI FILE 1 ALL
     LABI FILE 2 E1=3DHLA E2=3DHLB E3=3DHLC E4=3DHLD
     end_ip

  3. select this new *.data.mtz file (as EXPERT user) - this should
     then make a few boxes appear near the bottom of the 'general'
     page.

How do you get these HLA ... HLD columns?

  - just place the PDB file as model_something.pdb into your
    sharpfiles/datafiles. On the 'Phase improvement ...' panel you can
    see a utility to extract ABCDs (near the bottom). This will do
    everything necessary (and tell you the name of the final MTZ
    file).

  - if you want to use SIGMAA/SFTOOLS: just use the 'CALC' command in
    SFTOOLS to create columns HLC and HLD with just 0.0 values (since
    you can only use PHI/FOM from the model you will only get unimodal
    phase probability - and therefore only HLA/HLB).

How to use a molrep model (in general) in SHARP?

  - you can use it as you mentioned (i.e. using the AB[CD]s in SHARP)

  - place it as model_something.pdb into your sharpfiles/datafiles
    directory and use it (for 1, 10 or all cycles) during solvent
    flattening. This will hopefully improve quality of the solvent
    envelope and therefore the power of solvent flattening.

I will update the documentation for the next release.