[sharp-discuss] I don't have sendmail- does SHARP REALLY need it?

jeffrey.almrud@mail.utexas.edu jeffrey.almrud@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:34:35 -0500

Hello.

I'm running Mandrake v9.1. on my machine where I've downloaded the appropriate
files for SHARP v2.0.1. I have come across a small snag during the
installation:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
NOTE : the defaults in the following section should be
        adequate in most cases.

  1. Location of temporary files (min 64 MB free) (absolute
     path) :
     [/tmp] >

  2. Perl 5 location :
     [/usr/bin/perl] >

  3. Mailer program location (usually sendmail) :
     [/usr/sbin/sendmail] >

 WARNING : executable not found = /usr/sbin/sendmail

 WARNING : invalid answer - try again.

I currently don't have sendmail installed.  I actually have no need for sendmail
as I am the system admin., and sole user of this machine.

Is it an absolute requirement for sendmail to be installed and running on my
machine in order for SHARP to be installed and fully functional?

If no- how do I get around this problem I've come across.

If yes- do any of you have recommendations for versions of sendmail to install
(I assume multiple groups have developed their own sendmail(?)).

Cheers,
Jeff Almrud