[sharp-discuss] OS X / UNIX, how do I enable helper apps for viewing maps

Wilson, Jeffrey (wilsj9) wilsj9 at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Apr 14 17:43:52 BST 2005

I have SHARP running on OS X, and I want to view my residual maps.  When I
try plotting them, the web browsers (Safari, Mozilla, Camino) want to save
the "map.pl" file (which OSX thinks is a TextWrangler file).  How do I get
the browsers to automatically open/run the helper app (helpers.x-onew in
this case) to view my maps?  My ~/.mailcap file exists, but does not seem to
be read.
 Chapter 4 of the install guide says to tell Mozilla/firefox to open the the
file with $BDG_home/bin/helpers.x-onew, but the normal path
(/usr/local/sharp/bin...) is not viewable in OSX.  I tried moving the helper
files to a different location (/Applications/Xtal), but I get the error:

/Users/jeffreywilson/Desktop/map-1.pl could not be opened, because an
unknown error occurrred.  Try saving to disk first.

This might be happeneing since the name quickly gets changed to map.pl.  Has
anyone had this problem under OS X, Linux, or Unix?

>From a terminal, I can use the full path of the helper apps and my
downloaded map.pl file to get O to run, so the program is fine.  I just
cannot get the various browsers to execute the helper apps.

Jeff