[sharp-discuss] Density modify with NCS

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Thu Feb 9 07:15:03 GMT 2006

Dear Ye,

yes - there is some (rudimentary) code for NCS averaging using SOLOMON
inside Sushi. However, NCS-averaging in SOLOMON is less than
straightforward - and that's the reason I hardly ever use it myself
(you need to define your masks yourself _and_ you can't refine your
NCS operators). Therefore, I recommend using DM (either through the
CCP4i or from a good ol' script) - see the DM documentation. If you
need information about what columns from the eden_flat_XX.Xpc.mtz file
to use, please let me know.

If you expect 'proper' NCS (i.e. a closed n-fold = C_n symmetry): it
is worthwile trying the NCS-detection option from the interface. This
will run GETAX and then DM, producing NCS-averaged maps. There are a
few ugly bits in the output log-file ... but I'm sure you'll find your
way around.

Hope that helps.