[sharp-discuss] autoSHARP output - few questions

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Mon Sep 11 09:10:12 BST 2006

Dear Sundar,

some remarks:

 - the latest version of autoSHARP (release November last year) uses
   by default SHELXD for finding sites - if you have SHELXC/D
   installed. It is _much_ better at finding sites than RANTAN. That
   doesn't mean that the RANTAN sites are incorrect though.

 - 2.6A is borderline for ARP/wARP to build into it. So don't be
   surprised that this last step doesn't work.

 - You could use the output of SHARP in other programs for doing
   density modification and/or automatic building. See the explanation
   of the various MTZ files generated at

     http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/manual/appendix1.html

 - the score for the two hands seem to suggest that one is the correct
   one. And your overall phasing power looks very good.

 - which map are you actually looking at? autoSHARP produces a lot of
   maps: don't even bother looking at the SHARP map (i.e. before
   solvent flattening). You should be looking at the density modified
   map.

   Are you using the interface (httpd) to look at maps? this is
   recommended, since it makes sure that the right columns from the
   MTZ file are used to calculate maps. Otherwise see:

     http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/manual/appendix1.html#edenflat

 - you don't mention the quality of your data (completeness and
   redundancy are good - but what about I/sig(I), Rmerge etc). Or
   spacegroup (twinning?). Is it anisotropic? What about radiation
   damage - if it is highly redundant, maybe using only the first part
   of your collected data might help.

 - what type of heavy atom and how many residues? From the peak
   heights you report I would guess it is 2 sites only (and the others
   are noise). Try running SHARP (or autoSHARP) only with 2 sites. And
   check the residual maps afterwards visually if additional nice pop
   up nicely.

Hope that gives you some ideas ...