[sharp-discuss] Re: SHARP user with getax error

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Thu Sep 28 17:00:12 BST 2006

Dear all,

there are a few issues with this part (NCS-detection with GETAX) that
I'm looking into. Unfortunatley they show up only under various
(random?) conditions.

Anyway, if the DM step (automasking) crashes: just run this one by
hand. The log file (with the error message) should contain all the
keywords you need to use (search for 'Data line' near the top). Just
add the SIZE keyword (see DM doc).

Also to clarify: if you have heavy atom sites and you assume they
follow the NCS (e.g. Se-MET or sulphur phasing) it might be better to
use programs that work from these (e.g. PROFESSS in CCp4 ... but there
are others). GETAX will work in cases where

 - there are no NCS-related heavy atom sites (most experiments apart
   from Se-MET and S-Cys/Met)

 - you have a Cn or Dn symmetry (i.e. a closed, proper local symmetry)

See

  Vonrhein C, Schulz GE. Locating proper non-crystallographic symmetry
  in low-resolution electron-density maps with the program GETAX.
  Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 1999 Jan;55(Pt 1):225-9.

or something more recent:

  Pai R, Sacchettini J, Ioerger T. Identifying non-crystallographic
  symmetry in protein electron-density maps: a feature-based approach.
  Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2006 Sep;62(Pt 9):1012-21.