[sharp-discuss] automatic MAD wavelength analysis confusion

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Tue Aug 21 16:27:26 BST 2007

Hi Roni,

the 'problem' is that within autoSHARP we have two systems in place:

  - SHARP needs to know the f'/f" values of the heavy atoms
    (obviously) to do the refinement and phasing

  - SHELXC/SHELXD wants to know the 'names' of each dataset (PEAK,
    INFL, HREM, LREM) (presumably to translate these into some magic
    relation between the underlying f'/f" values ...)

So autoSHARP needs to keep track of both. In a good MAD experiment we
will have the situation that

  - peak has the largest f" value

  - infl has the lowest f' value

 - lrem/hrem are collected so far away from the edge, that the
   calculated values (via CCP4's CROSSEC program) are more or less
   correct

What happens often is that e.g. the lrem/hrem are collected 'just
remote enough' (but still fairly close to the calculated edge for
agiven element): this would confuse autoSHARP.

Or in your case it seems that you gave

  peak : f' = -8.0266  f" = 3.8421
  inf  : f' = -9.8034  f" = 3.8438

So here the 'inf' dataset has the lowest f' _and_ the highest f"! If
you want to give typical values I would do:

  peak : f' = -6.0  f" = 6.0
  infl : f' = -8.0  f" = 3.0
  hrem : f' = -1.5  f" = 3.5
  lrem : f' = -2.0  f" = 0.5

(or something similar).

However, there is a little 'trick' (or maybe you could call it a
work-around) on top of these 'typical' values: give your wavelengths
some meaningful identifer ('peak', 'infl', 'hrem', 'lrem'). Then
autoSHARP should use those identifiers at the SHELXC/D stage - to keep
these programs happy.

Obviously, the fluorescence scan or jotted down numbers for f'/f"
would be best ;-)