[sharp-discuss] automatic MAD wavelength analysis confusion

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Tue Aug 21 16:36:39 BST 2007

I'm not sure if 'inf' is enough ... try 'infl' (I should check).

Also: the f'/f" values should still follow the

  f"(peak) > f"(hrem) ~ f"(infl)

  f'(infl> < f'(peak) < f'(hrem)

order. autoSHARP tries hard to keep everything in synch - and
complains (as you noticed) easily. After all, with the f'/f" values
you have used before the SHARP refinement/phasing will start from very
wrong initial values - and who knows what could happen with those
precious few sites found in some below average MAD data.

Obviously, if you had really good MAD data all this wouldn't matter
too much - but autoSHARP is also intended to try and do as good as
possible on borderline cases.

See also:

  http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/manual/autoSHARP1.html#needed
  http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/manual/autoSHARP2.html#wave