[sharp-discuss] error running rantan

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Tue Jul 24 08:02:12 BST 2007

Todd,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 10:35:49PM -0400, Todd Pfaff wrote:
> Regarding your first point, all I can say is that I installed sharp via
> the web site documentation.  If Alba would like me to do so, I'll be
> happy to follow your instructions to configure sharp as you
> recommend.

The installation is fine - just that the external SHELXC/D programs
aren't known to the installation. This could have several reasons:

 - you actually don't have those programs (in which case you will
   need to use RANTAN as the heavy-atom detection program)

 - these programs weren't discovered during the original installation

If you don't have the two programs 'shelxc' and 'shelxd' on your
computer but you would like to use them: see
http://shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de/SHELX/ on how to get them.

If you have the programs, you might want to tell autoSHARP about them,
using the 'shelx-setup' command:

  % cd /where/ever/sharp
  % source ./setup.csh              # tcsh/csh
    - or -
  % . ./setup.sh                    # ksh/sh/bash/zsh
  % adm/bin/shelx-setup

which should ask you only for the directory name (absolute path) where
these two binaries are.

> Regarding the second point, we are only running the sharp software on the
> host for which we obtained the license key.  That's what is so puzzling
> about the error message.

Indeed, this is puzzling. What sometimes happens is that the operating
system is swapping ethernet cards (e.g. if you have two): one time it
is eth0 and the other time eth1. There are (distribution-dependent)
recipes out thre how to always get the same order, e.g.

  http://www.science.uva.nl/research/air/wiki/LogicalInterfaceNames
  http://www.mepis.org/node/13039

Or, you could request an additional licence key for the machine in
it's current 'identity': this way you would have licence keys for both
types of eth0 interface (depending which one is picked).

The next time you request licence keys for a Linux box you might want
to do

  % /sbin/ifconfig -a | awk '/^eth/{print $1 "-" $NF}'

and _if_ you have more than one ethernet card: give this information
twice with swapped eth0/eth1 strings the second time. E.g.:

 eth0-00:11:43:DA:67:9C
 eth1-00:11:43:DA:67:9D
 eth1-00:11:43:DA:67:9C
 eth0-00:11:43:DA:67:9D

>  I have no idea what it's trying to do at that
> point that it is attempting to validate a license and returning that
> error.

This is the PKMAPS program (part of SHARP/autoSHARP) that is checking
the licence - which is correct.

You can always check if a licence is present for the current machine,
by doing

  % setenv BDG_home /where/ever/you/installed/sharp

    - or -

  % BDG_home=/where/ever/you/installed/sharp
  % export BDG_home

  % $BDG_home/bin/linux_exe/sharp -l

which will give the message

 Licence check finished.

if everything is fine.

> If you can give us some advice as to how to diagnose this problem
> further, that would be much appreciated.

If you send me (off-list) your current .licence file I can tell you
for what machines/network-identities it is licenced.