[sharp-discuss] Error: Too many levels of symbolic links

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Sun May 6 14:12:13 BST 2007

Hi,

there is a hard-coded Linux kernel limit on the maximum levels of
symbolic links. Since I doubt that you want to hack your kernel (to
increase this limit) I recommend changing

  $BDG_home/users/YourName/sharpfiles -> None.sharp
  $BDG_home/users/YourName/None.sharp -> /where/ever/sharpfiles

  $BDG_home/users/YourName/sharpfiles -> /where/ever/sharpfiles

by doing

  % cd $BDG_home/users/YourName
  % rm sharpfiles
  % mv None.sharp sharpfiles

If this is not enough you might need to shorten some other links,
e.g. in /where/ever/sharpfiles. It might also be that your HOME
directory is e.g. /home/nian which is a symbolic link to
/mnt/home/nian (or something similar - if you're running e.g. an
automounter). All those symbolic links add up and might trigger this
error message (by hitting the hard-limit of the Linux kernel).

Hope that helps ...