[sharp-discuss] Starting httpd and SUSHI

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Fri Sep 12 12:05:09 CEST 2008

Dear Eugene,

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:33:43AM -0400, Eugene Wu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having issues getting the web server part of SHARP up and running on a
> Mac Pro running OS 10.5.4 (Leopard).
>
> During the installation process, the httpd-setup portion gives me fits.
> The .conf files instruct httpd to be run under the root account, so the
> installation warns me that this is not kosher due to the possibility of all
> files becoming exposed to local users.

It seems you installed SHARP/autoSHARP under the 'root' account,
right? This is why the .conf file (generated from a template during
the installation) contains as a user 'root'. If you installed e.g. as
user 'software' it would say 'software'.

The httpd needs to run under some account on your system. If you're
the only person using that computer and this SHARP/autoSHARP
installation, I would recommend installing it under your account (then
the httpd will also run under your account - and all results files
will belong to your user as well, which is nice).

> The warning pops up and then the installation loops back to asking
> me if I want to turn the server on, ad nauseum.

There might be something else not working, possibly the actual httpd
binary you're using bombs out or something like that. If that is the
case, try following the instructions in

  helpers/*/httpd.README_GPhL

to compile your own Apache 1.3.X httpd binary on that particular
machine. Just substitute the version numbering and path given in that
example README file accordingly.

> I've tried changing the http.conf files in the sushi folder to a different
> user, but the file is changed back every time I do the installation.

See above: this is because of the generation of that file during
installation from a template.

If you changed the user, you could try and just starting the server
without re-doing a complete installation:

  % cd /where/ever/sharp

  % . ./setup.sh            # ksh/bash/sh/zsh/dash
    - or -
  % source ./setup.csh      # csh/tcsh

  % kill_server SHARP
  % restart_server SHARP
  % check_server SHARP

If you do these steps as user 'root' (i.e. you stick with the
installation as root) but the .conf file has a different user
defibned, the running httpd should run under that different user
ID.

Also, make sure that you're editing the correct .conf file. Check it
with

  % adm/bin/httpd-setup SHARP

> I've also tried installing a newer version of httpd, but the same
> type of thing happens.

If you have a new httpd binary (Apache 1.3.X if possible): re-run

  % adm/bin/httpd-setup SHARP

and specify the location of the new binary. Then again run

  % kill_server SHARP
  % restart_server SHARP
  % check_server SHARP

>  Leopard appears to already have httpd, but I don't know where
> it's located (probably wouldn't help anyways).

httpd binaries shipped with operating systems (Linux, OsX, whatever)
are very often highly OS/distribution specific, extremely modular and
heavily customized. This makes it nearly impossible for us to support
this large variety of different httpd binaries out there. Although it
should be possible to create your own .conf file(s) for the httpd
coming with OsX, we recommend using a default Apache - as described in
httpd.README_GPhL.

> So far I'm able to run SHARP through CCP4, but I'd like to take advantage
> of the options on the web server version.

I completely agree: there are a few additional features in the
httpd-based interface, that make life much easier (and that would be
very, very difficult to implement in the CCP4i framework) and could
help you a lot.