[sharp-discuss] Sharp and fink CCP4 in Mac OSX

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Thu Mar 26 17:58:03 CET 2009

Dear Miguel,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 05:39:36PM +0100, Miguel Ortiz Lombardia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed autoSHARP/SHARP on a Mac OSX Server running CCP4
> installed from the Fink repository.

Good - then the server should know already about the location of CCP4
et al.

> The installation proceeds without problem but the program, when
> running is not able to find CCP4. The reason, I presume, is that as
> for other programs from Fink, it is added to the path at login time
> via a source in the bashrc file:
>
> . /sw/bin/init.sh
>
> How can I tell sharp when its server is started to load this file (or
> other environment variables or to add somehow the path to CCP4?)

The server takes all the relvant information from files (*.setup) in
the directory

  $BDG_home/machines/XYZ

where

  $BDG_home = installatio directory
  XYZ = machine name (i.e. what 'hostname -s' gives you)

There should be a file ccp4.setup that contains all the relvant
information for CCP4 - independent of the fink init.sh etc.

* Maybe that information in there isn't correct?

* Or did you install ('installSHARP -F') in an incomplete
  environement?  I.e. did you do the '. /sw/bin/init.sh' _before_
  running 'installSHARP -F'?

  It is highly recommended to have all external programs setup
  correctly before running the recommended

    % installSHARP -F

  This way a minimum of questions wil be asked - ideally only one
  (email address) and everything else is taken from the current
  environment. There might be some things missing (XtalView, MAPMAN) -
  but these are only needed under special cirumstances (using O or
  XtalView for viewing) and could be ignored ...

* What does $BDG_home/sushi/logs/error_log has to say? Any meaningful
  message?