[sharp-discuss] sharp server access fails

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Mon Mar 30 15:33:16 CEST 2009

Dear Gottfried,

that should be simple to sort out:

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:04:02PM +0200, Palm wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>   We have a problem accessing the sharp server.
> Installation of SHARP on our machine wh21 last week went well and
> we have run some jobs already. The computer was turned off brieflyon
> the weekend.

That means that the httpd was killed.

> After the weekend access to the sharp server however
> fails:
>
> Failed to Connect
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at wh21:8080.

Exactly: since the httpd wasn't restarted. Solution

 * login again as the same UNIX user that installed the software

 * go to the installation directory and setup environment

   % cd /where/ever/sharp

   % source ./setup.csh         # csh/tcsh
     - or -
   % . ./setup.sh               # ksh/bash/sh/zsh

 * restart cleanly:

   % adm/bin/kill_server SHARP
   % adm/bin/restart_server SHARP
   % adm/bin/check_server SHARP