[sharp-discuss] run nfs sharp installation on different clients

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Mon Oct 29 19:46:18 CET 2012

Dear Michael,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 03:33:36PM +0100, Michael Hothorn wrote:
> Sorry about the somewhat naive question, but I do not fully understand
> this from the manual:

no problem.

> I have installed sharp incl. the stand-alone version of httpd on a
> nfs-share available to different linux boxes.

Yes.

> All necessary programs
> (ccp4, coot etc.) are installed on the very same share.

Yes.

> The .license file in the sharp directory now allows to run sharp
> from my desktop.

Yes. Remember that each machine wanting to run SHARP/autoSHARP needs a
licence key (added to your existing .licence file). See

  http://www.globalphasing.com/sharp/wiki/index.cgi?SharpAutosharpLicensing

> How can I make this installation available to other clients, so that
> all processes created by sharp are running locally on these clients?

There are basically three possibilities:

  1. if you are running some kind of queuing system you can setup the
     submission system on the SHARP server. The autoSHARP, SHARP,
     density modification or ARP/wARP auto-building job will be
     submitted through that queing system. Of course, how it gets
     executed and on what machine/node is up to your setup. This
     basically allows running SHARP/autoSHARP in that brave new
     'cloud' ... one could even use ssh-mechanism for setting this up.

     If you don't know what I'm talking about then you don't have this
     situation anyway ;-)

  2. Running autoSHARP can also be done through the CCP4i interface -
     in which case it will run wherever CCP4i was started.

  3. if you want to run through the httpd interface (good idea, since
     much more functionality), but don't have a way of easily
     submitting jobs from the initial httpd-server to other
     machines/users: then you will have to duplicate at least the
     httpd-server on different machines.

     I'll try and write something up to show how it could be done (as
     a template) at the httpd-only level, ie. running several httpd
     out of the same installation. I'll send it to you (and anyone
     else interested) asap - or put it onto the SHARP/autoSHARP wiki.

There is another possibility - running a SHARP or autoSHARP job from
the command-line: www.globalphasing.com/sharp/manual/appendix2.html.
You still need to prepare your input files somehow though.

> Do I need to simply add lines to the license file and add a new
> master?

You'll always need a licence key for each machine (see above).

You don't need to create new 'masters' (via the 'newmachine' tool) if
all your Linux boxes are identical (same OS, same distro version, same
32/64-bit, same mount points): then additional machines will pick up
the apropriate setup via the symbolic links in $BDG_home/machines
anyway.