[sharp-discuss] plot SHARP electron-density map interface problem

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:22:55 +0000

Dear Chernhoe,

> When I try to use the 'plot SHARP electron-density maps' interface to
> make a script to save a map in CCP4/XtalView format, I get something
> like this
>
> ERROR in /home/chernhoe/sharp/sushi/cgi-bin/map.pl
>
>     The following return values are set:
>
> Child error = 256
> OS error = No such file or directory
> Eval error =
>
> Error message  :   Directory "/tmp/chernhoe/14438.dir" not found or not
> readable

Is it possible that the directory /tmp/chernhoe doesn't exist?
Although in the CCP4 setup file distributed by CCP4 the default
CCP4_SCR is /tmp/$USER (and is created if it doesn't exist) we don't
use this in SHARP/autoSHARP. So you might want make sure that the CCP4
setup within SHARP/autoSHARP (see $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup)
sets scratch directories which will always exist and always be
writable. You can just use /tmp.

> However, in the case of using the plot button to make an O/Xtalview map,
> it asks me whether to save a file called map.pl. This is a tar file, but
> the map.pl filename is highly misleading. May I know if this is a bug?
> In the case of plotting a CCP4 map, it correctly asks to save a save.tar
> file. Clemens, could you please verify this?

Which browser are you using? The httpd server sends a file of a
specific mime-type. And Netscape looks in ~/.mailcap what to do with
this mime-type. In your browser setup it doesn't seem to recognise
the mime-type used for plotting maps directly from the interface. This
can have various reasons:

 1. using a non-Netscape browser
 2. your Netscape configuration doesn't know about your private
   ~/.mailcap file: have a look in ~/.netscape/*pref*js files for the
   value of the private mailcap file - and make sure it points to
   ~/.mailcap.

BTW: what are your (or other peoples) browser of choice nowadays? We
know that Netscape is available on all our supported platforms (SGI,
HP/Compaq, Linux). But e.g. RedHat 8.0 now doesn't package netscape
anymore. We would like to keep the number of browsers we might/will
have to support to an absolute minimum. So now is the chance for you
to vote ...

*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889