[sharp-discuss] plot SHARP electron-density map interface problem

chernhoe chernhoe@imcb.nus.edu.sg
15 Jan 2003 19:28:24 +0800

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 19:22, Clemens Vonrhein wrote:
> Dear Chernhoe,
>
> > When I try to use the 'plot SHARP electron-density maps' interface to
> > make a script to save a map in CCP4/XtalView format, I get something
> > like this
> >
> > ERROR in /home/chernhoe/sharp/sushi/cgi-bin/map.pl
> >
> >     The following return values are set:
> >
> > Child error = 256
> > OS error = No such file or directory
> > Eval error =
> >
> > Error message  :   Directory "/tmp/chernhoe/14438.dir" not found or not
> > readable
>
> Is it possible that the directory /tmp/chernhoe doesn't exist?
> Although in the CCP4 setup file distributed by CCP4 the default
> CCP4_SCR is /tmp/$USER (and is created if it doesn't exist) we don't
> use this in SHARP/autoSHARP. So you might want make sure that the CCP4
> setup within SHARP/autoSHARP (see $BDG_home/machines/*/ccp4.setup)
> sets scratch directories which will always exist and always be
> writable. You can just use /tmp.

The directory /tmp/chernhoe certainly does exist and has the 0775
permission level. Using /tmp alone gave the same result.

> > However, in the case of using the plot button to make an O/Xtalview map,
> > it asks me whether to save a file called map.pl. This is a tar file, but
> > the map.pl filename is highly misleading. May I know if this is a bug?
> > In the case of plotting a CCP4 map, it correctly asks to save a save.tar
> > file. Clemens, could you please verify this?

I really think there is a problem with one of the cgi-bin scripts. I
followed the installation instructions and everything worked, including
the test examples. The only problem was that the PLOT and SCRIPT button
don't work in all cases for the various map formats. Clemens, may I know
if you tried installing SHARP on a fresh install of RH8 or Mandrake 9?
Perhaps this will reveal the problem I are facing?

> Which browser are you using? The httpd server sends a file of a
> specific mime-type. And Netscape looks in ~/.mailcap what to do with
> this mime-type. In your browser setup it doesn't seem to recognise
> the mime-type used for plotting maps directly from the interface. This
> can have various reasons:
>
>  1. using a non-Netscape browser
>  2. your Netscape configuration doesn't know about your private
>    ~/.mailcap file: have a look in ~/.netscape/*pref*js files for the
>    value of the private mailcap file - and make sure it points to
>    ~/.mailcap.

I am using mozilla and sometimes opera. Both browsers gave identical
problems. Netscape is not installed by default in RH8 or Mandrake 9. I
have the same problem using both distributions of Linux. Personally I
like Mandrake since this distribution gives me i586 optimized binaries,
instead of i386 binaries that comes with RedHat; consequently it is
faster. Nvidia drivers don't give me any acceleration under RH8, whereas
I get proper 3D acceleration especially for O under Mandrake 9 using a
Geforce 4 card.