[sharp-discuss] plot SHARP electron-density map interface problem

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:46:19 +0000

Dear Chernhoe,

> The directory /tmp/chernhoe certainly does exist and has the 0775
> permission level. Using /tmp alone gave the same result.

Are you running the httpd as user 'chernhoe'? Otherwise you might need
to change the permissions to 0775 or 0777.

> I really think there is a problem with one of the cgi-bin scripts. I
> followed the installation instructions and everything worked, including
> the test examples. The only problem was that the PLOT and SCRIPT button
> don't work in all cases for the various map formats. Clemens, may I know
> if you tried installing SHARP on a fresh install of RH8 or Mandrake 9?
> Perhaps this will reveal the problem I are facing?

It is not a problem of the cgi-bin script but rather of the interface
between the browser you use and the mime-type system we have
implemented. Please note that all the viewing capability (plots, maps,
PDB, Postscript and MTZ files) is only supported using Netscape
browser! And at least RH8 doesn't come with netscape anymore. Please
fetch a netscape binary/rpm from a previous RH version or from the
Netscape site directly. This should then work.

The things that won't work on non-Netscape browsers are:

  1. the SHARP Input file editor (started when pressing the

       'Start' SHARP based on ...

     button from the Control Panel.

  2. the viewing of maps and plots (since the mime-type system of
     Mozilla doesn't know about the various additional mime-types and
     how to handle these).

Everything else (i.e. looking at logfiles and running autoSHARP)
should/will work for non-Netscape browsers.

PS: I can hear 'Mozilla' as a browser option - anything else?

> > Which browser are you using? The httpd server sends a file of a
> > specific mime-type. And Netscape looks in ~/.mailcap what to do with
> > this mime-type. In your browser setup it doesn't seem to recognise
> > the mime-type used for plotting maps directly from the interface. This
> > can have various reasons:
> >
> >  1. using a non-Netscape browser
> >  2. your Netscape configuration doesn't know about your private
> >    ~/.mailcap file: have a look in ~/.netscape/*pref*js files for the
> >    value of the private mailcap file - and make sure it points to
> >    ~/.mailcap.
>
> I am using mozilla and sometimes opera. Both browsers gave identical
> problems. Netscape is not installed by default in RH8 or Mandrake 9. I
> have the same problem using both distributions of Linux. Personally I
> like Mandrake since this distribution gives me i586 optimized binaries,
> instead of i386 binaries that comes with RedHat; consequently it is
> faster. Nvidia drivers don't give me any acceleration under RH8, whereas
> I get proper 3D acceleration especially for O under Mandrake 9 using a
> Geforce 4 card.
>

> > BTW: what are your (or other peoples) browser of choice nowadays? We
> > know that Netscape is available on all our supported platforms (SGI,
> > HP/Compaq, Linux). But e.g. RedHat 8.0 now doesn't package netscape
> > anymore. We would like to keep the number of browsers we might/will
> > have to support to an absolute minimum. So now is the chance for you
> > to vote ...
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Clemens

*  Sheraton House, Castle Park     Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033
*  Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK           Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889