[sharp-discuss] sharp.dat, Unknown command for submission method "interactive"

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Fri Dec 10 09:09:19 GMT 2004

Hi Ed,

it should be

  $BDG_home/machines/<machine name>/sharp.setup

(sharp.dat was a typo). So after running 'newmachine' everything
should be in place.

An important issue is the hostname: when running 'newmachine' you need
to use the machine name (without domain) exactly as

  % hostname -s

returns it on that machine. Sounds more complicated than it is. the
point is, that you get into trouble if your official complete hostname
is 'xray1.some.com' (so 'hostname -s' will return 'xray1') but you use
'newmachine Xray1'. Or if you have an alias defined in /etc/hosts
(e.g. node1). So just run 'hostname -s' on the machine and use this
output as argument to 'newmachine'.

Another thing is to check the contents of the
$BDG_home/sushi/submit/*.dat files. Since $BDG_home/sushi/submit
should be a link to either $BDG_home/submit (default) or
$BDG_home/submit.local (recommended if you edited/changed the
submission system yourself following the docs), you should actually
check in

  $BDG_home/submit.local/*.dat
    - or -
  $BDG_home/submit/*.dat

Each *.dat file should have an entry like this:

  interactive::::Interactive

and you should have files

  interactive/start.sh
  interactive/restart.sh
  interactive/resume.sh

inside the $BDG_home/submit.local and/or $BDG_home/submit
directory. These should be links $BDG_home/bin/*.sh - maybe a mount
point changed? Or you moved your installation around?

Hope that helps ...