[sharp-discuss] Trouble with httpd!

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein@globalphasing.com
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:52:30 +0100

Dear Raji,

konqueror _might_ work - but is not very well tested. netscape will
definitely work (so does probably mozilla). It all has to do with the
different javaScript implementation that each browser has (a
headache). So I recommend installing some netscape 4.8 version on your
machine (you can get it e.g. from older 7.3 Redhat versions) or at
least using Mozilla.

But: this has nothing to do with the problems you seem to have. Please
do:

  % cd /where/ever/sharp
  % source ./setup.csh    # or: '. ./setup.sh' if you're running
                          # sh/bash/ksh
  % adm/bin/kill_server
  % adm/bin/restart_server
  % adm/bin/check_server

This should give you the URL of the (running) SHARP server. You can
then do

  % netscape http://toucan:8081/

to connect to that server.

As Pietro pointed out, there are a few possible pitfals:

  - installing software as root is not recommended

  - hostnames are heavily aliased in /etc/hosts (these are also case
    sensitive): the 'correct' host name is always what 'hostname -s'
    returns.

  - running a non-supported httpd (we recommend using our supplied
    binary or compile your own standard Apache httpd of the 1.3.X
    series).

  - check $BDG_home/sushi/logs/error_log

  - there is no need whatsoever to define any variables in places like
    ~/.login, ~/.cshrc etc. As the SHARP administrator (i.e. the UNIX
    account that installed the program and is running the httpd) you
    just need to source the setup.csh or setup.sh file that was
    created during installation.

Hope that helps.