[sharp-discuss] Blank pages in SHARP web interface

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Thu Nov 11 15:46:38 CET 2010

Hi Derek,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:11:54PM +0100, Derek Logan wrote:
> After some years away from SHARP

Tss, tss ... how did you manage to survive? ;-)

> I recently installed the latest version on a latest model Mac Pro
> running Mac OS X 10.6.4. The installation went very smoothly and the
> interface and SHARP all work as expected.

Very good.

> However after some time I get only blank pages in the web browser
> and the only way to remedy this problem is to restart the httpd
> demon with restart_server.

Did you shutdown your machine in the meantime? Or sent it to sleep?

The httpd isn't automatically started upon reboot/restart of a
machine. So you will always need to do

  % cd /where/ever/sharp
  % source ./setup.csh          # csh/tcsh
    - or -
  % . ./setup.sh                # sh/ksh/bash/zsh

  % adm/bin/kill_server SHARP
  % adm/bin/restart_server SHARP
  % adm/bin/check_server SHARP

> I get the same phenomenon with Safari and Firefox so it does not
> appear to be a browser-dependent problem. Has anyone else seen this,
> and what's the solution?

If you didn't reboot your machine and you still get an empty page: is
your machine maybe switching identiy (it might get a different
hostname if it uses DHCP and gets a new lease)? Although, that should
be fixed by restarting the server ...

Do you also get taht problem of blank pages when using e.g.

  http://localhost:8080/

as URL (assuming it is runnong on part 8080)? What does the
$BDG_home/sushi/logs/error_log file has to say?