[sharp-discuss] Blank pages in SHARP web interface

Derek Logan Derek.Logan at biochemistry.lu.se
Fri Nov 19 09:55:30 CET 2010

Hi Clemens,

Sorry for late reply.

>> After some years away from SHARP
>
> Tss, tss ... how did you manage to survive? ;-)

By not solving any de novo structures...

>> I recently installed the latest version on a latest model Mac Pro
>> running Mac OS X 10.6.4. The installation went very smoothly and the
>> interface and SHARP all work as expected.
>
> Very good.
>
>> However after some time I get only blank pages in the web browser
>> and the only way to remedy this problem is to restart the httpd
>> demon with restart_server.
>
> Did you shutdown your machine in the meantime? Or sent it to sleep?

It does go to sleep, but is not shut down.

> The httpd isn't automatically started upon reboot/restart of a
> machine. So you will always need to do
>
>  % cd /where/ever/sharp
>  % source ./setup.csh          # csh/tcsh
>    - or -
>  % . ./setup.sh                # sh/ksh/bash/zsh
>
>  % adm/bin/kill_server SHARP
>  % adm/bin/restart_server SHARP
>  % adm/bin/check_server SHARP

The check_server script tells me that there is a server running.

>> I get the same phenomenon with Safari and Firefox so it does not
>> appear to be a browser-dependent problem. Has anyone else seen this,
>> and what's the solution?
>
> If you didn't reboot your machine and you still get an empty page: is
> your machine maybe switching identiy (it might get a different
> hostname if it uses DHCP and gets a new lease)? Although, that should
> be fixed by restarting the server ...

It does use a DHCP server, but it gets a fixed IP address from that server.

> Do you also get taht problem of blank pages when using e.g.
>
>  http://localhost:8080/
>
> as URL (assuming it is runnong on part 8080)? What does the
> $BDG_home/sushi/logs/error_log file has to say?

Yes, I also get it when logged onto the computer itself and using localhost. Looking in the SUSHI file the most relevant-looking lines I can find are:

[Thu Oct 28 09:21:34 2010] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Thu Oct 28 09:21:40 2010] [notice] Apache/1.3.41 (Darwin) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Oct 28 09:21:40 2010] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)
perl: no user 503
perl: no user 503
perl: no user 503
perl: no user 503
[Thu Oct 28 23:33:10 2010] [error] [client 217.72.59.39] Premature end of script headers: /Users/sharp/sharp-2.6/sushi/cgi-bin/upload.cgi
[Thu Oct 28 23:45:32 2010] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Thu Oct 28 23:45:37 2010] [notice] Apache/1.3.41 (Darwin) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Oct 28 23:45:37 2010] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)
could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port
could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port
perl: no user 503
perl: no user 503

The last 4 lines are then repeated at least 10 times.

Does this give you any further ideas?

/Derek