[sharp-discuss] Blank pages in SHARP web interface

Clemens Vonrhein vonrhein at globalphasing.com
Fri Nov 19 12:53:09 CET 2010

Hi Derek,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:55:30AM +0100, Derek Logan wrote:
> > as URL (assuming it is runnong on part 8080)? What does the
> > $BDG_home/sushi/logs/error_log file has to say?
>
> Yes, I also get it when logged onto the computer itself and using localhost. Looking in the SUSHI file the most relevant-looking lines I can find are:
> perl: no user 503
> perl: no user 503
>
> The last 4 lines are then repeated at least 10 times.
>
> Does this give you any further ideas?

Yes - this is most likely something we've seen before happening with
Apples perl on Snow Leopard. We're still trying to convince Apple that
this is a bug, but this proves slightly tricky.

I _think_ we have a workaround, that I wanted to test before sending a
reply. But funnily enough, another user reports the same problem it
seems just this morning. So if you're up to some testing yourself:

  1. install a different Perl distribution. The easiests would be
     ActivePerl from

       http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads

     This should install a new perl distribution into
     /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12.

  2. if you are still installing SHARP/autoSHARP: start again using
     the command

     a) if you are using sh/bash/ksh/zsh:

        BDG_perl=/usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/bin/perl
        export BDG_perl
        ./GPhL_SHARP_production-academic_install.sh

     b) for tcsh/csh

        setenv BDG_perl /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/bin/perl
        ./GPhL_SHARP_production-academic_install.sh

  3. if you have already an installation: modify all

       machines/*/host.setup

     files (there should be only one) so that the BDG_perl parameter
     in there points to

       /usr/local/ActivePerl-5.12/bin/perl

As I said, I haven't tested this (yet) in the context of a
SHARP/autoSHARP server ... but it sounds right. If you try this and it
works (even after loggin out again), please let us know.

If it doesn't work I'm sure you'll let us know anyway ;-)